Licensing for One Laptop Per Child

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 19:52:24 EST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 4:02 PM, Joshua Waitzkin <joshwaitzkin.web at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, sounds great to me. How do you normally arrange for licenses with
> authors? Give me a sense for what I should present to my publisher, and I'll
> do it.

We prefer Creative Commons licenses for content, either Attribution or
Sharealike. See the guidelines at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Licensing

This would permit the content to be included in the standard XO or
school server distributions. Otherwise, it would have to go on a Web
site for individual downloading.

We prefer GPL for software, so that children can examine and modify
it. If you and your publisher are willing to license a specific
version under GPL, our developers will localize it into the necessary
languages and package it for the XO. They and some of our students may
want to see about enhancing it.

> Two other questions--what is your time line on this? And roughly how
> many computers are we talking about? Best, Josh

We would like it last year, of course. ^_^ In fact, since we are not
on a commercial schedule, we don't have a specific timeline. Our
developers can talk with your developers when that time comes.

More than half a million XOs have been ordered. This much is fact.
Then we enter the realm of conjecture and possibility.

The eventual aim is something over 200 million units annually, that
is, every schoolchild in the world getting a new unit every four years
or so, but we aren't all holding our breath. If we can get orders
totalling a few million this year, and then start doubling up year
over year, as has happened with successful launches of computers in
brand new markets in the past, it would take six or seven years to
reach the target level. We could wish for more, but we can't complain
at that prospect. It's an 'if' of a fair size, but nothing outrageous.

Of course, if your current book and software get out in front of that
many children, then when they become a bit more prosperous and a
little older, they may want to check out the offerings you and your
publisher haven't created yet. What they call a Blue Ocean,
Bottom-of-Pyramid, Triple-Bottom-Line Emerging Markets strategy.
Buzzword complete, too. ^_^ We'l be happy to talk about licensing
other backlist material on similar terms.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/