disabling root and olpc passwords

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Mon Feb 4 20:23:37 EST 2008

> I posted because there appeared to be a regression (regarding asking
> for passwords) in the OLPC behavior -- that exists regardless of how
> I described happening to notice it.

The theory is that in update.1, the olpc and root accounts will come
"disabled" (locked with a password that nobody can type).  However,
you can change the password by becoming root (using sudo, or su, or
root autologin on the tty1 console, or the "Become Root" button in the
terminal activity).  Then just use the "passwd" command to set
whatever password you like.  After that, you can start incoming ssh
and/or FTP sessions using your newly set password.

It's easy to get confused about this -- the particular implementation
strategy for update.1 has changed several times.  (Indeed, I might
have it wrong, but I rest assured that if so, someone will correct
me.)  See http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5537, which seems to be the
master ticket for this issue (there are lots of dups).

	John