What's left for Update.1

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 11:50:40 EST 2008

2008/2/4 Kim Quirk <kim at laptop.org>:
> Jim,
> I think this is way too much stuff for Update.1. We are in code freeze. We
> have items 1 and 2 scheduled to go into RC2; I would suggest that we ONLY
> pick up Spanish, where we really fell short in the current build; I don't
> agree with holding up this build for either 4 or 5, as this feels like new,
> untested code - perhaps there is no 'fix' even available at this time (I'd
> need to see the arguments that this is blocking AND we have a fix); and I
> agree that we need to look at 'Blocking' bugs that are still open to see if
> we agree they are still blocking - or move them out.

For translations, I would also probably push Mongolian in, along with
Spanish. I am currently making those two sets of translations go
through all kinds of tests (I wish I could make the rest of them go
through these as well, but time is severely limited atm).
If this raises concern about the inclusion of the latest translations
for other languages, I am currently working on a system for building
"language packs" (single archives), which can simply be installed in
any Qemu image/XO/sugar-jhbuild setup, so that anyone can try out the
latest translations for any of our supported language whenever they
wish to.

However, "cherry-picking" the translations for Spanish and Mongolian
may pose a problem, which I'm not sure how to handle. The translations
were often committed as parts of huge commits, in which other
translations also went in. Maybe someone who's more familiar with Git
may want to suggest some ways out here.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--