[OLPC library] OLPC-health

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 02:54:46 EST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 9:51 PM, Seth Woodworth <seth at isforinsects.com> wrote:
> I've looked at Scribus.  And it's very beta still. It has some potential to
> be great software eventually, but it is nowhere near InDesign.

I haven't used InDesign, but in my many years using FrameMaker I
considered it fairly beta the whole time. Basic design errors, memory
leaks, missing functions, display bugs,...

> And it can't
> read the source files at all.  I will likely be using Scribus for the
> printed XO manual later on this month, so I hope it isn't as bad as it
> seems. :S

We may need to send a few volunteers to clean up Scribus, then. Has
anybody on the devel list looked at what needs to be done for Scribus?
They could start exploring here.
http://bugs.scribus.net/roadmap_page.php

Maybe we should start a Wiki page for Free Software projects that are
needed for laptop work, even if they won't go on the laptops.

> > It'd be really nice if we had a way to dish out work like that. Doing
> > a single chapter is a manageable chunk of work, and the result is
> > visible right away. I think it's fun to do, except for the part where
> > it takes 100 hours to do the whole book if you have to do it alone.
> >
> > If we can setup a team of people working on jobs like this, it'll be
> > more fun and diverse for everyone.
> >

> I've been working on restructuring the [[Health]] pages on the wiki and I'm
> working my way into restructuring the participate and volunteering pages in
> general.  If we really want people to get involved, we need to better
> document what you're doing, what the work flow would be, what skills are
> required, and get the word out there.
>
> Volunteer coordination is hard, but worth it. :)

We need a project page for each activity, each document set, and much
of the basic hardware and software development, and we need to prod
people to sign up there. Then we have to create pages to index it all,
or at least make sure that category markers are applied consistently.

> Seth
>

> > - Pascal.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/