olpc-logbat data collector(s)?

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Feb 4 01:07:14 EST 2008

Martin Dengler wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 01:30:19PM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
>> 6. Power profiling: . . . We can use
>> much more data—please run the script yourself and send us the CSV
>> files that it generates.
>
> I've made a load of logs available at
> http://www.xades.com/proj/xo_logbat .  I'm not sure to whom I should
> be emailing the logs.

That would be me.  I've grabbed your logs. Thanks for the info.

Where are you running olpc-logbat from?  You machine never seems to go
into suspend during normal running.  Are you running it from a VT or
from a terminal activity in sugar?  When run from a VT the activity will
keep ohm from trying to suspend the laptop.  I see times when there are
large gaps where I think you have closed the lid but no shorted gaps
that indicate a suspend.  I haven't looked at all the logs though.
Perhaps you just never have a period of 30 seconds of inactivity?

Oh and be sure to grab the latest build with new firmware.  q2d10 is
doing doing quite badly in a few of those logs.

The OLPC News post wasn't quite specific enough about the type of data I
need.  The data I would like to see is the data while on battery during
normal operation when the XO has a chance to suspend.  olpc-logbat does
not produce any useful info when the battery is full and on ext power.

So the procedure would be:

Charge up the battery.
run the sugar terminal activity
run olpc-logbat in the activity
unplug from ext power.
use the laptop normally.

You can stop olpc-logbat when you plug back up to charge.  I don't need
the charge data for power profile stuff.  Don't worry if you forget and
leave it running. Its easy to cut out when I analyze.

The dat I prefer to get is long continuous runs from full to empty
rather than shorter runs with a charge in the middle of them.  Those are
easier to process and help show exactly what our current battery life is.

Thanks for helping to collect this info.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child