should suspend turn off backlight ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Feb 2 07:33:32 EST 2008

G1G1.  AC is plugged in.  Q2D11.  Recently, 1628.

I normally run with 'suspend' inhibited -- to preserve my wired
connection.  [Am using an USB-ethernet adapter.  'Suspend' drops
power on the USB, and loses the local_LAN IP address.  'Resume' does
NOT re-establish this (wired) local LAN connection.]  With 'suspend'
inhibited, the display "blinks" periodically -- the backlight dims,
then after a bit brightens again.  If I go away for a long time, the
display is dark when I come back to it.

Tried running with 'suspend' permitted.  The backlight dimmed, USB
power was lost, and the "power" light started blinking.  Came back
hours later, and the backlight was still "dim".  If power is to be
saved by turning off the CPU, oughtn't power *also* be saved by
turning off the backlight ?

mikus