XOs with no sound

rihoward1 at gmail.com rihoward1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 03:29:56 EST 2008

I have seen this problem when the alsamixer settings have become
messed up.  Seems like there are one or 2 processes that occasionally
write to the alsamixer config file.

You can alter the settings by running the graphical program /usr/bin/
alsamixer  from the terminal.  There is also a command line program /
usr/sbin/alsactl but being late at night I can't remember the syntax
off hand.