G1G1 updates, Lennon video and other vids

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 04:15:10 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Bastien <bastienguerry at googlemail.com> wrote:
> "Samuel Klein" <sj at laptop.org> writes:
>
>> The Lennon video that's been murmured about for weeks has been
>> released.  I'm curious to see reactions from the list.
>
> I only like the beginning - flying XOs...  the first attempt for a
> forthcoming screensaver "activity"?
>
> For the rest of it, it sounds fake, it's too short, what we see and
> hear is nothing but a distraction from the core message.  Looks like
> people have been playing with a beautiful idea, but ended up with a
> toy-movie.

I would have written a far different script for digi-Lennon, around
some of the themes of "Imagine". Probably this final segment, or part
of it, perhaps with some minimal patching, or a voice-over blending
into the music:

Imagine no possessions (change to "Imagine these possessions", with XO
ownership images? Imagine shared possessions?)

I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man;
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world.

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one.

Those original wards don't have to be faked at all, although a patch
would. Then he could end, "Hey, even I couldn't imagine this,"
speaking from inside an XO. Perhaps in one of our text-to-speech
voices, rather than his own.

> My favorite so far is Waveplace's one:
>
>  http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3wB-7JeOE

+1

Much more to the point than anything I have seen out of OLPC. I don't
know how many viewers would understand the reference.

Alan Perlis, as Chairman of the CS department at Yale, talked about
powerful software as a pou sto, a place to stand, to give you leverage
over the hardest problems. He was talking about APL, but the principle
applies to Smalltalk, or Lisp, or Sugar, or any well-designed
general-purpose software that does not hide the fundamental
mathematical nature of programming.

> --
>  Bastien
And Children are my nation.