G1G1 updates, Lennon video and other vids

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sat Dec 27 21:07:13 EST 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008, Samuel Klein wrote:

> David,
>
> I believe it's his real speech, with a few composite moments.  It
> sounds like other interviews I've heard -- and different from most
> singing voice examples in my head.  You're not alone in making that
> comment about the voice.     Feel free to suggest post topics or
> additional videos to review for the blog in the comments.

the problem is that it sounds fake.

it sounds as if someone sampled various interviews and cut individual
words togeather to make the speach. and given that he is dead, anyone who
would care about his opinion is going to know that this isn't his opinion.

adding the vidio of him while the fake voice is going also is jarring as
the audio doesn't sync to the face.

so as a meaningful message it has red flags haning out everywhere just for
technical (or apparent technical) reasons. And even if you ignore those it
just isn't that good a spot (unless you have a far higher opinion of
Lennon than I do)

Fred Astaire dancing with a Dirt Devil vaccum was one thing (they pasted
in the vaccum to replace a hatstand), but faking endorcements from people
is far worse.

in part it teaches people to expect that video is faked, and while I agree
that this is technicaly possible to do, it's not something that ethical
people and orginizations should be doing (except as I said before, in
things clearly labeled as entertainment, not fact)

it's like spam, technicaly possible, sometimes effective, but something no
ethical orginization should be involved with.

David Lang