Minutes of Power in 9.1.0 meeting

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 25 11:37:05 EST 2008

> Wireless is *so* hard to debug, the programmers can never get to the
> location where it actually fails repeatably -- and when it's failing,
> the laptop is by definition off the net, so they can't login to it
> remotely to debug it.

Has anybody figured out how to run tcpdump on another system?  Do the radio
chip sets support promiscuous mode?

> Access points with encryption have *never* worked reliably on the XO

Mine works well enough that I don't pay much attention to it.  I'm using a
Linksys/Cisco WRT54GL with stock firmware and encryption.  2 or 3 of my
neighbors' APs are usually visible.

If bugs happen often enough, then you can debug them.  If they don't happen
often enough to debug, then they probably won't disrupt work very much.

I just ran a few tests.  I'm just rebooting and looking to see if packets
start working again.  I'm using ping to measure "works".

1: OK
2: 171 ping packets dropped.
3: Failed.  First poke at Connect failed.  Second worked.
4: 170
5: 173
6: 169
7: 170
8: 173
9: 174
10: 170
11: 166
12: 178
13: 176
14: 172
15: 177
16: 174

Is there anything I/we can do to get more info?  Can I turn on logging so
there is something to look at in case I can get it to fail again?