Deployment image customization

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Dec 23 15:01:20 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Both have challenges. My preference is clone because I think its easier for
> the end user (create an XO the way you like it then click "clone"). However,
> we need to figure out the list of things that should not be cloned as you
> mention.

It's not just creating a list. You also have to figure out how the
list can be made automatically. And then finally (the easy part, but
may bring some unexpected challenges) is acting upon the list. The
actual imaging may also present challenges, e.g. do you clean up
before or after?

> Extending the customization key has two main challenges as I see it. The
> first is that we may miss some customization that people want. The second is
> that its a little cumbersome to collect all the files, put them on a USB
> stick, add an fs.zip etc. I believe it also requires a second boot of the XO
> and possibly 2 USB sticks. One to update OS and a second to add
> "customizations".

It can be done like that, or the deployments can do as they already do
with the customization stick: they make the customization stick, test
it, then turn it into an image (including OS).
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image_builder
then OLPC signs the image, as has been done for Peru builds.

> In terms of customization stick or clone, this is where the lead engineer or
> whoever does the work gets to make the final call. Just make sure you
> address all the requirements and that  we get it done in time for a QA cycle
> in February and we'll be OK.

OK, glad to hear that engineering will have input into the decision ;)
I do not have time to work on this myself but may chip in here and there.

Daniel