Deployment image customization

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Dec 23 14:26:55 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 09:18:51PM +0200, Morgan Collett wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 18:29, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Your suggestion that we allow
>>> addition of RPMs and get those built into a signed image via "pilgrim or
>>> puritan" is certainly valuable and part of the requirement.
>>>
>>> However, it doesn't cover a few added things (language settings was
>>> specifically requested by Mongolia and others):
>>>
>>> - Updated language packs (I believe we are trying to make this an RPM which
>>> may solve it)
>>> - Starting language
>>> - Date, time and timezone
>>> - Network settings

Both puritan and pilgrim install many unpackaged hacks; that's actually
the major reason why they exist.

(Some special indirection needs to be taken if you want to deploy hacks
to /home via olpc-update, since it doesn't touch /home, but for
whole-NAND-reflash tasks, either is certainly adequate.)

It's also possible to combine a compose-tool like puritan or pilgrim
with our existing image-builder technology (which generates mfg-ready
images from customization-stick data.)

Michael