Deployment image customization

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 09:19:23 EST 2008

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comments on the image customization feature:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap/Image_customization

I moved them from the requirements to the specification section because
I think you are proposing a possible solution. Your suggestion that we
allow addition of RPMs and get those built into a signed image via
"pilgrim or puritan" is certainly valuable and part of the requirement.

However, it doesn't cover a few added things (language settings was
specifically requested by Mongolia and others):

- Updated language packs (I believe we are trying to make this an RPM
which may solve it)
- Starting language
- Date, time and timezone
- Network settings

Essentially the things in the control panel, but other settings may be
relevant too and even more important to pre-configure if they are only
accessible via CLI.

The biggest challenge I see is to find those things which you do not
want to "clone" from the source XO. The only things that come to mind
are Name and Color. We could even pre-fill them as long as those dialog
boxes come up at start up.

In short, I like your proposal but I still want a little more :-)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Greg S