olpc-update from 703 to 8.2 wipes out Journal

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 11:36:52 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Ties Stuij <cjstuij at gmail.com> wrote:
> I updated an XO from 703 to 8.2 with the latest olpc-update, and to my
> disappointment the journal content was wiped. Is this to be expected?

It shouldn't wipe the Journal, but if the new Journal code finds an
error when dealing with the journal data it will _keep_ the old
journal, but put it aside, and create a new empty journal.

In other words, the Jounral view may not be showing your data, but the
files aren't lost if you care about them. Look into your
~/.sugar/default directory, and you'll see both the old and new
journal directories ("datastore" and "datastore-$timestamp".

It'd be interesting to rename the old journal dir back to 'datastore'
and restart sugar. It will probably find the same error again, but now
you have a chance to capture the log and share it in this list, so we
can help diagnose what happened there.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions