Building Custom Kernel RPMS

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Dec 19 15:29:47 EST 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008 01:57:04 pm Erik Garrison wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 07:32:35PM +0000, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> > Note that this still requires a Fedora/RHEL system to build
> > kernels, or a functioning mock/chroot setup (untested so far).
> > I have tested on F10 and FC6 systems. Please let me know if
> > you have any problems on other systems.
>
> What dependencies would prevent this build process from working on any
> linux system?
should work just fine on any system with mock  by building in a chroot.
building natively would fail due to missing BuildRequires on a non Fedora
based system.  different vendors use different naming guidelines for packages.
if you satisfy the dependencies you could do --nodeps and build.  rpm macros
would probably be off.  cleanest and safest way to build would be always in a
mock chroot even on a fedora based system.

Dennis