[ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.83.3 Development Release

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Dec 19 13:08:20 EST 2008

This is our third Development Release in the 0.84 cycle. Besides all the
great bug fixing that has been going into this release we want to
highlight some interesting changes.

First of all, big up to the translation team and their fearless leader
Sayamindu for their steady ongoing work to make Sugar a localized
environment! Thanks to the maintainers for honoring this with new releases.

Another important role during this release played the infrastructure
team. Since we moved the git repositories to be at
http://git.sugarlabs.org and changed downloads to be hosted at
http://download.sugarlabs.org there was a lot of work to do. Thanks to
Bernie, Ivan and Lance Albertson of OSL.

Tomeu with the help of Collabora and especially Guillaume landed the
first batch of patches that bring file transfer to the journal. Though
more or less working, it does still need a lot of love and polishing.

Benjamin and Marco worked together to fix the palette highlighting on
tray icons. Many might have wondered for month already why the
highlighting when hovering over the device icons was not working right -
now it is fixed. Marco fixed as well another palette drawing issue.

Simon added support for wired network devices. When connected to a wired
network the icon will show up in the devices frame. Network Manager
supports multiple active devices to ensure that you always have
connectivity, try it out and connect your wireless and wired device.

Daniel brought Read back with a rebase of sugar-evince and incredible
Walter could not stop coding and brought us a new version of turtleart
with image caching. Morgan updated Chat to follow the API and fixed a
possible crasher.

Kushal is working hard to make the Jukebox activity our default media
playback activity, he added object picker support, so that when you open
read directly prompts you with a dialog to choose a file you want to play.

We want to finish this announcement with the first release of Etoys 4.0.
The major version jump signifies the end of their two-year relicensing
effort. Now we are looking forward to see etoys packaged for
distributions like Fedora that the Sugar users can enjoy that great
educational environment there as well. Big Thanks to the Squeak
community and Etoys developers!

Thanks everyone for the great contributions!

In behalf of the sugar community,
    Your Release Team

Full Release Notes:
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.83.3

Sucrose Release Schedule:
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Roadmap#Schedule

== Glucose news ==

=== sugar-toolkit ===
* Fix palette highlighting on tray icons. Patch by benzea, style tweaks
by marcopg
* Rework palette state logic. Fix #42
* Use g_timeout_add_seconds() for power efficiency
* Add colors to icons in menu items
* Add accelerator support to menu items
* Simplify activity bundle installation
* Dont pop down the palette when a submenu opens

=== sugar ===
* Fix language parsing on Gentoo and ALTLinux #81 (alsroot)
* Change the FRAME_POSITION_RELATIVE to follow eben's spec
* exec sugar-session
* Add wired device icon for the frame
* Only show wireless device in the frame when connecting/connected
* Use jabber.sugarlabs.org by default
* Only create a keydialog for the activating connection
* CanvasPulsingIcon: Don't begin pulse loop on resume if not pulsing
* Use g_timeout_add_seconds() for power efficiency
* Add the journal button to the volumes toolbar in the journal
* Remove jarabe/model/volume.py and use gio instead
* First try at restoring removable devices support in the journal
* make the image viewer activity the default one for iamges

=== sugar-base ===
* Adding language he, bi, hu, sw, cs, sv, sk, wa
* Updated translations

=== sugar-presence-service ===
* #6248 Presence service broken with NetworkManager-0.7 (NM D-Bus API
change)

=== sugar-datastore ===
* This release just contains a bunch of stability and robustness
improvements

=== sugar-artwork ===
* New icon for the wired network

=== etoys ===
* removed/reverted/rewrote all methods not covered by Apache/MIT license
* various fixes (#8928, #8929, #8879, #9058, and others)

== Fructose news ==

=== read ===
* Update to sugar-evince-2.24 API (Daniel Drake)
* Updated translations: es, sl

=== browse ===
* Updates in the Slovenian language

=== jukebox ===
* ObjectPicker option added while directly running the activity
* 67 languages added :)

=== chat ===
* Updated translations: es
* Fix crash in _add_log when buddy is None, and make _add_log more
robust (morgs)
* Sugar API update: Use self.shared_activity not self._shared_activity
(morgs)

=== turtleart ===
* caching images -- the first time you load it, it takes about 30
seconds. subsequent loads are almost instant

=== terminal ===
* Updated translations

=== imageviewer ===
* New translations