Journal integration for Scratch

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Dec 18 12:17:24 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 18.12.2008, at 17:11, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>> In
>> fact, the Journal itself supports thumbnails and a description field,
>> so a similar experience could be offered there, in a place that's
>> familiar to those using Sugar.
>

> In theory, yes. In practice, you do not get a preview for downloaded
> files, not even for images. This has been known for ages:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2460

Hmm, that's too bad.  Maybe we can get that fixed.

> Besides, even if all entries had a preview, it is still cumbersome to
> find anything by preview, because the preview is hidden in the "detail
> view", and there is not even a way to move directly between detail
> views (next/previous buttons as well as page up/down keys have been

That's true.  As soon as we have some manpower to put the new Journal
design in place, we'll all be far better off here.  In addition to
improvements to the detail view itself, it will expose thumbnails in
browsable views as well.

> discussed but not implemented). Nor is there a way to navigate by
> keyboard at all in the Journal.

True, and extremely unfortunate.  I think we need to keep some
accessibility concerns on the short term agenda.

> Unfortunately "usability" is not one of the goals in the Sugar roadmap.

Your pain is my pain.  However, I still feel it necessary to keep
everyone's eye on a larger prize.  Rather than having every activity
solve these problems in a different way, I'd like to convince one or
two of the activity devs to help address the core issue so we have a
net win for everyone.  If the system is broken (and we know it is!)
then we should fix it, rather than building numerous
workarounds/substitutions.

- Eben