nandblaster: can't open fs.plc for reading

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Wed Dec 17 11:46:49 EST 2008

Hi Emiliano!

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 02:22:37PM -0200, Emiliano Pastorino wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> We're doing some tests with firmware q2e24 but we're having trouble when
> trying to serve an unsigned build.
> As it says at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Multicast_NAND_FLASH_Update , we
> need an fs.plc file, but we don't know
> how to generate it.

Judging by the description on the afformentioned page, the fs.plc file
has the format described at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OFW_NAND_FLASH_Updater

It is basically a script used by OFW during the update process to build
any partitions on the NAND and to validate the eblocks.  The bulk of the
script is a bunch of sha256 digests for each 128KiB piece (erase-block,
or eblock) of the image you're flashing.  You can see such scripts by
unzipping an fs.zip from one of our signed builds and examining the file
data.img.

> Any tips?

Ironically I just built a simple script to generate such files because
it will help us in getting your custom images ready for secure reflash.
Instructions regarding that process will be forthcoming this afternoon.
In the meantime I suspect you can resolve the NANDBlaster issue by using
the script.

You can obtain the script from:

  git-clone git://dev.laptop.org/users/erik/image-digestor

Run it as follows against the image file you are trying to NANDBlast:

  image-digestor.sh <image_file_name>

After a minute or so it will produce a file called
<image_file_name>.ofw_update_script.  Rename this file fs.plc, put it on
the USB alongside fs.img, and start the NANDBlaster again by following
the instructions on the Multicast NAND Updater page.

Hopefully that resolves the issue.  Please indicate if you encounter
more problems.

Best,
Erik