No surprise on memory

Benjamin Berg benjamin at sipsolutions.net
Tue Dec 16 09:14:07 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 23:21 -0500, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> I'm no expert, but making the system work well without overcommit would
> probably require extensive modifications to the python interpreter, the
> fd.o libraries (dbus, gstreamer, telepathy, etc.), gecko, and maybe even
> X.  All of these would need to allocate only as much memory as they need,
> and react appropriately when malloc returns NULL.  In other words, 'tain't
> gonna happen.

GLib will abort when g_malloc fails. This means that most libraries that
use glib (GTK+) will not handle out of memory at all.

It may be interesting to adjust the OOM score of some applications. This
way it should be possible to protect the core applications (sugar-shell,
journal, X, ...) from being killed in an OOM situation.

Benjamin