Free Software Foundation Files Suit Against Cisco For GPL Violations

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 07:05:23 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:07, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:27:52PM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>> Interesting. I have never received a Linux system with either the
>> source code or a written offer of source code.
>
> Oh?  That's not supposed to happen.  If a hardware vendor provides a
> system with Linux on it, that is distribution, and they are certainly
> obliged to provide the source code or offer.  If you received the system
> as hardware only and you obtained the software yourself, then the
> hardware vendor has no such obligation.

Small print on the back of the printed cover of the latest Ubuntu CD
provided by "shipit" includes:

"Source code for Ubuntu can be downloaded from archive.ubuntu.com or
can be ordered from Canonical at the cost of the media and shipping."

This has been on every Ubuntu release since I can remember - since
5.10 (the oldest cover I could quickly find) at least.

Regards
Morgan