Free Software Foundation Files Suit Against Cisco For GPL Violations

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 01:27:52 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>> Some of us are new to one or another part of this issue, and need a bit more background.
>
>> o Can you list the offending binaries and explain their faults?
>
> Sure.  For example, "ls" is part of the Coreutils.  In 8.2.0, it's
> licensed under GPLv3+ (try "ls --version"); in earlier releases, it's
> licensed under GPLv2+.  In both cases, OLPC is shipping binary copies
> of "ls" on the flash media of laptops.  This means that it must ensure
> that every recipient has either the actual source code of "ls", or has
> both a written offer of such source code and ready access to redeem that
> offer for the actual code.

Interesting. I have never received a Linux system with either the
source code or a written offer of source code. I certainly know where
to download it.

> One of the original ideas at OLPC was that all the source code would be
> put on the school servers and every school would have a server and so
> the kids would all have access to the sources.  See
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4286#comment:8 .  That didn't work in
> practice, because many laptops go to places that have no school
> servers.  It didn't work for G1G1 either.  See also
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4417 .

Presumably we could have included a CD, regardless of whether
recipients had drives.

> There are also some packages for which OLPC doesn't seem to have
> SRPM's that match its RPM's:  http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4835 .

Wouldn't surprise me. Who is supposed to take care of this stuff?

> In addition, there's a bigger problem with the packages that are
> licensed under GPLv3 (24 packages in 8.2.0, and growing).  GPLv3 bans
> "TiVoization" which is the way that the TiVo company figured out how
> to cheat the GPLv2.  They used a ton of GPL software to build a
> product, flashed the binaries into a physical product, and provide all
> the matching source code -- but the firmware in the physical product
> will never let you reflash the binaries.  This means you are "free" to
> modify the source code and recompile it, but you can never actually
> modify it IN THE PRODUCT.
>
> GPLv3 bans this, for products designed for household or consumer use.
> If the vendor themselves has the power to reflash the binaries, then the
> consumer must be provided the keys and instructions required to do so.

OK, now I know what you are talking about. Yes, I would prefer
children to have complete software freedom. I don't see it happening.
I expect that if faced with this question directly, governments would
uniformly assert that they are the consumers, and that no court in
their countries would disagree, since the government paid for the
equipment. I also see no way that a US court would hold any of this to
be a license violation, given that the source code is delivered to the
governments.

And Children are my nation.