Free Software Foundation Files Suit Against Cisco For GPL Violations

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri Dec 12 17:43:41 EST 2008

Hi,

   > Does FSF have approved translations of their licenses?  That sounds
   > like something lawyers could get very picky about.

   The reason the FSF does not approve these translations as officially
   valid is that checking them would be difficult and expensive (needing
   the help of bilingual lawyers in other countries). Even worse, if an
   error did slip through, the results could be disastrous for the whole
   free software community. As long as the translations are unofficial,
   they can't do any harm, and we hope they help more people understand
   our licenses.
-- http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/translations.html

So the English text is always canonical.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>