Free Software Foundation Files Suit Against Cisco For GPL Violations

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Fri Dec 12 14:14:46 EST 2008

OLPC is at risk of similar action unless it gets its act together.
The project and its customers have skated by on GPL compliance,
figuring that we're the good guys, and make halfhearted attempts every
once in a while, so we won't get sued.  That didn't work for Cisco.
Even a public *allegation* by FSF that OLPC is not compliant would
have an effect similar to the "We're going Microsoft" debacle, further
alienating the free software development community who OLPC depends
deeply upon.  OLPC has, by distributing binaries under DRM, without
source code, and with minimal notice, hung a sword over its head that
just about anybody could unleash.

        John