Soliciting OFW testers

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Fri Dec 12 05:07:51 EST 2008

I've just released OFW Q2E24 (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Firmware_q2e24 ) which is a test
candidate for the upcoming 8.2.1 release.  There are a couple of things
that could use some testing, so I'm soliciting help.

Firstly, if you have 2 or more XOs and are willing to overwrite the NAND
FLASH on one of them, you could test the NANDblaster, see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Multicast_NAND_FLASH_Update .

Secondly, if you have a USB CD-ROM drive, you could help me by testing
it with OFW.  To do so:

a) Remove all other USB storage devices (FLASH keys and the like) from
the XO
b) Put a CD-ROM that has an ISO-9660 filesystem (the standard CD-ROM
filesystem) in the drive
c) Plug the drive into the XO
d) Power on and get to the ok prompt in the usual way
d) Type

    ok dir u:\

If it works, you'll see a directory listing, perhaps after several
seconds (CD-ROM drives can take a long time to spin up and read the
disk's table of contents).  If it doesn't work, it might hang, or it
might say "Can't open directory" and perhaps even "Can't open disk label
package".

If it fails, there are a couple of other things to try that would give
me useful information:

1) Look in the "USB2 devices:" list to see if there is a line like:

    /pci/usb at f,5/scsi at 1,0/disk'

That's the CD-ROM assuming that you have removed all other USB storage
devices.
It might be "scsi at 2,0" or "scsi at 3,0" depending on which USB port you used.

2) Power off then back on, get to the ok prompt and type:

   ok dev u
   ok : max-transfer 800 ;
   ok dend
   ok dir u:\

That patch reduces the transfer size to one CD-ROM sector, so the driver
doesn't do read-ahead of large chunks.  That shouldn't make a
difference, but I have one CD-ROM drive that flakes out with long
transfers while working okay with short ones.  I'd like to know if that
is a common problem or just a bad drive.

Thanks,
Mitch Bradley