2588 - Journal unusable

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Dec 11 23:27:21 EST 2008

G'day Chris,

I'll give a partial line of reasoning response ... this is not complete,
I'm short of time.

Where I said public, I meant developer builds that can be used by other
developers.  I didn't mean to imply public builds for testing by
non-developers.  I mean the difference between what a developer does and
what a developer releases.  That isn't only OLPC originated code, that's
also the choice of what RPMs to accept from outside.  Accepting lots of
RPMs at once is the same as making lots of code change.

Why don't you have private build streams?  That's what I can do with
debxo, for instance ... build on my desktop, test on an XO, and then
avoid releasing anything to the public until I've verified that what
I've changed actually works.

Why can't the build system be replicated so that each developer can test
their change before releasing it?  What is it about the build system that
prevents it?  I thought the build system was just a set of downloads and
put-it-together processes.