Wireless activation improvements.

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:49:05 EST 2008

Hi Michael,

This is definitely a must have/must fix item for 9.1.0. It is needed by
Ethiopia and other deployments. It may be used in a "warehouse" where
the XOs are prepared as opposed to in a school where we assume there is
less ability to change/tweak the AP ESSID. I'll try to get more feedback
on that but right now my impression is that the primary use case is in a
warehouse.

I was treating it like a bug so it didn't have a full write up on the
Feature page. I see there is some design needed so I'll make a section
for it here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Activation_lease_security

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "mesh" but if that refers to
our Active Antenna (AA) I need to remind everyone that the AA is not a
product right now, not supported and not available from OLPC. That may
change in the future but right now its not being sold.

The bottom line is that wireless activation through an AP to the school
server is a must have item for 9.1.0 which fits perfectly in the
Deployability and Maintainability theme of the release.

Thanks,

Greg S