Wine activity

Ben Wiley Sittler bsittler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 16:30:10 EST 2008

That's awesome work! I was able to install Wine and use it, including
firefox and a win32 application I had previously build using mingw32
under Linux on another PC and uploaded to a webserver, and then
downloaded using firefox inside wine. However, I did notice the
following oddities:

1. When I later resumed the activity from the journal, the wallpaper
was gone and nothing worked, although the start-menu items for firefox
were still there.

2. It was not clear to me how to save wine's state to the journal.

3. At some point the usual 'leave full-screen mode' icon appeared in
the upper-right corner, but clicking it seemed to have no effect other
than to make it disappear, i.e. no sugar UI appeared and the desktop
size did not change.

4. Wine crashed when I used Firefox's download manager to open the
location of a downloaded file (winefile appeared briefly, then the
whole activity crashed.) I have no idea why yet, but perhaps there is
some information left in a log file somewhere I will find.

On the bright side, this means it's fairly trivial to run at least
some "windows-only" software on the OLPC now, which is great when
there's not yet a Sugar or Linux version.

-Ben