Updating old 656 qemu image

Luis Michelena luis.michelena at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 00:39:13 EST 2008

I have been working since may with qemu, using the 656 build, made some
changes, intalled several packages to make my life a little easier(man,
locate, locale, etc) so i'd like to be able to update it in place but I
can't:
-bash-3.2# olpc-update 708
No current running version?  Continuing anyway...
Downloading contents of build 708.
Updating to version hash 04495300cfb99f7d15a30974a4026a23
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/olpc-update", line 108, in <module>
    if __name__ == '__main__': main ()
  File "/usr/sbin/olpc-update", line 43, in main
    olpc_update(options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bitfrost/update/setup.py", line 23,
in
new_f
    return f(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/sbin/olpc-update", line 105, in olpc_update
    options.verbosity if not options.quiet else -1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bitfrost/update/setup.py", line 60,
in
new_f
    return f(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bitfrost/update/setup.py", line 23,
in
new_f
    return f(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bitfrost/update/setup.py", line
209, in
 perform_update
    cur_hash = os.path.basename(os.readlink('/versions/running'))
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/versions/running'

I tried to update de olpc-update script to the last version, but it didnĀ“t
work. By the way, the /versions folder is empty. It seems that that folder
should have a link(current) to another directory that contains the version
hash, but i couldn't find which value to use? I tried to search snippets of
the error log on the net some sensible options but I found none
Can you give me some advice?
I also downloaded the 708 build, but i didn't found a way to acomplish the
update that way either.

Thx in advance,
Luis Michelena
Uruguay