Sugar & XFCE

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri Dec 5 15:16:15 EST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Sebastian Silva wrote:

> Here's a delicate scenario that I see:
> Inevitably, when comparing the XOs running Sugar to those running
> Windows for evaluation (this is happening *right now*) - MMSs (that
> is, Microsoft&Ministries) will argue not only on GNU+Linux vs. Windows
> technical merits, but also the GUI will come up as a possible fatal
> comparison.
> So techies will then install XFCE for comparison, perhaps they'll
> request F10 for that...
> Only XFCE is currently vanilla on the repositories and fancy
> integration like volume and brightness, DPI, etc isnt well integrated
> at all by default, as well as many useful separate widgets for
> networking, battery status and so on.
> Its funny: In this scenario, you can actually share more on windows
> (via file sharing) than on linux (at least with the gui).
> So here's an idea Homunq gave us yesterday:
> This is the perfect project for a G1G1 hacker. Probably one already
> did it. Lets challenge them, via OLPCNews, to release "pimp up xfce on
> F9" procedures (maybe even scripts and themepacks) - so that it is as
> simple and as trouble free to install a working, beautiful, lean and
> mean XFCE4 on the NAND that we can proudly compare with sluggish
> windows on the SD.
> Please could we request this to wayan and spread it?

the biggest problem has been in getting started (getting a system image
that could boot and use the normal distro tools)

debxo is a good example of a bootstrap for debian, it is a set of scripts
that use the standard distro package tools to create a system image that
they can boot into and start tweaking. what it's missing is a good way to
let the users extract the results of their tweaks to submit upstream.

if you want the type of work you are looking for to happen on Fedora
someone needs to package up a similar set of scripts.