Sugar & XFCE

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Dec 5 11:23:00 EST 2008

Carlos wrote (regarding Sugar on an XO):

> Apps need to be sugarized.

This is true when Sugar is the primary interface of the target user
population.  But the "Subject" of this topic is XFCE.  I am going to
make the assumption that an user sophisticated enough to use XFCE
will be sophisticated enough not to need the simplified GUI that
sugarization provides.

I myself have had reasonable success installing Linux applications
on my XO, then launching them from the command line.  [And launching
from Terminal bypasses Rainbow's restrictions on applications.]

I keep wondering, considering Moore's Law and the availability of
netbooks, why shoehorn specifically Sugar (and the XO) into
competing for the "traditional_Linux_interface" laptop role ?

mikus