[sugar] XO identity shared via Browse

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:17:54 EST 2008

Hi All,

I'm copying in Devel and will drop the sugar list on further replies
(hope that's the right netiquette in this case...).

Of all the e-mails I have sent this week I never would have guess that
this one would generate the most responses! Maybe it was the use of the
term SSO :(

I updated the requirements to address Michael's comments below.

The one which did not engender a requirement update are noted here:

 >   what software, on the XO, should be responsible for proving identity?
GS - It says Browse and I mean only Browse (that's why I sent it to the
sugar list initially)

 >      if Browse, how does Browse talk to the registration code?
 >      if Browse, what about Gmail, Help, WikiBrowse, ...
GS - Not a requirement either way on "registration code". Not a
requirement to work with Gmail, Help or Wikibrowse, but I left in other
server (Gmail case?) as nice to have.

 >   when should we make use of an ability to prove user identity?
GS - Not sure what this is asking. Its purpose is to make it easier to
work with XS. The identity should be tied to the XO hardware (except as
noted below). I want the XS to know that its talking to the same XO as
before without the user needing to enter anything.

 > security)   who are the principals?
 >   what are their goals?
 >   what attacks concern us?

GS - In general I don't want any other devices to be able to appear to
be the XO. We can assume that the XS <-> XO is a secure network not
visible to the outside workd (whether that is true in practice is
another story). So I moved the encryption and stringent security
requirements to the optional case where the XO is talking to a non-XS
server.

 > users)
 >   what do we do if something looks wrong?
 >      fail silently?
 >      log an error somewhere?
 >      fail loudly?
 >      are there any user overrides?
GS - Make sure it never fails! Just kidding. Give me some concrete
examples for how it might fail and I'l think about it some more.

 >   can I turn this off?
GS - Good suggestion. Added.

 >   can I have multiple identities?
 >   can I share my identity with someone else?
GS - No for both. The XO is the indentity.

 >   what happens if the user loses their laptop and gets a new one?
 >   what happens if the server breaks and a new one is installed?
 >   what happens if I move from an old school to a new one?
 >   what happens when the XO's software is upgraded? downgraded?

GS - I added two server side requirements to cover this. In general, I
assume the XS is secure and that any identity data can be passed
securely from one XS to another.

HTHs. Good questions and let me know if the requirements are still not
clear.

BTW This came up because the current XS restore interafce requires that
you type in the serial number of the XO to find its backed up files.
There was also a request on the server list to make the backup and
restore secure (hidden from devices other than the backed up XO).

That is the must have requirement. The use of password less identity
outside the "secure" environment of the school is nice but not critical.
Just have the kids log in once then use cookies or HTTPS or OpenID for
that, I'm not partial to the technology and if there's no consensus we
can live without it.

I'm OK with the debate but if we release 9.1.0 without making it easy to
get your files off the XS and to automaticaly associate with the right
Moodle identity, then we will miss an important user valuable feature.

Thanks,

Greg S