Power Management plan for December - Meeting 2PM US ET 12/4 (today)

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 08:58:00 EST 2008

Hi Chris et al,

We will have a one hour meeting from 2 - 3 PM US ET today (Thursday
12/4) to talk about power work for 9.1.

Everyone who wants to contribute is welcome. We will use this dial in:

 From the United States
         866-213-2185
  From Outside the United States
         1-609-454-9914
Code: 1671650

No IRC today. I want one round of old fashioned talking and writing on
the whiteboard :-)

I'll send out notes and we can do more IRC meetings in the future.

Sorry for the short notice but call in if you can.

Here is a proposed agenda:

10 minutes - confirm where we will document the requirements,
specification and work plan.

10 minutes - layout the high level areas of work and assign engineering
and QA lead for each. (one break of work is here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Power_management)

30 minutes - review list of trac IDs (see below and URL above) targeted
for inclusion.

10 minutes - assign action items and pick next meeting as needed.

Thanks,

Greg S

*****************
 > http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-November/021412.html

Hi,

This e-mail describes the work plan for power management during December.
I've filed bugs for each item, so this plan is the list of bugs that
should be fixed during December.

Bugs I plan to fix:

* #2765 -- Need to turn off DCON after some time in idle suspend
* #3732 -- ARP broadcasts don't wake autosuspended laptops
* #7981 -- EC mask setting is inefficient
* #9055 -- Create 9.1 test plans for automatic power management

Bugs I will need significant help to fix:

* #6818 -- Make the multicast wakeup filter work with collaboration
     (Ricardo Carrano?)
* #7958 -- DCON flicker on resume
     (kernel regression; perhaps Deepak, Andres, Mitch, or Adam Jackson?)
* #9054 -- Speed up USB resume
     (kernel)

It will take some effort to gather the resources for fixing the second
list of bugs (and if anyone reading can help, I'd love to hear from
you).  However, if we are able to fix all of these bugs we'll be in
excellent shape for having a shippable-by-default automatic suspend
feature in 9.1, assuming serious bugs uncovered during testing can be
fixed.  The plan for January would largely involve following up with
QA and looking for further cheap performance wins in suspend/resume.

Comments welcome.  Are there important power management bugs that I've
left out?

Thanks,

- Chris.
--