[sugar] [Proposal] .xot bundles, for translations

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 06:40:29 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I meant to say is that all the good things we get from a bespoke
> packaging format, we can get from rpm with a few conventions as to the
> directories where things land.

A couple of additional notes from a private subthread...

...there are a few ways to use rpm/yum for unprivileged users
(alternative DB, fakeroot, relocatable pkgs...), and I think we can
use them for this. In fact, we could even build a simplistic rpm
installer in python that handles a subset of what rpm does (hopefully
this is not needed, it'd detract from the idea quite a bit)

One valid criticism to using rpm - from a Sugar perspective - is that Sugar
won't want to become tied to Fedora/RH. There's a case for thinking
through if we can actually use rpm the way we want on Debian and/or
apt on Fedora. Both rpm and apt are available in old/buggy versions in
the "other" family of distros.

Using rpm or apt Sugar would getting a bit further away from Windows
(does cygwin carry either?) - a bit less so on OSX (where the fink
toolchain will probably work alright, specially with translation pkgs,
which are by definition "noarch").

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions