xo activity idea

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 10:31:11 EST 2008

Hi Yifan,

2008/12/3 Yifan <yifan.sun at students.olin.edu>:
> Hi all,
>
> I had an idea for an activity, something like a write activity with a
> constantly updating spell checker that displayed spelling suggestions as you
> typed (similar to NJStar Word Processor for typing in Asian languages,
> except for English). I found a free wordlist (STG wordlist) so I think it's
> pretty doable, and I think it would be pretty helpful for english learners.
>
> Some questions I had concerning this:
>
> 1) How do I apply for an activity proposal? I'm having a hard time finding
> the link to the format.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Project_hosting

Indeed, this wasn't straightforward to get to at all.  I tried
following links from the main developer link (on laptop.org /
participate / get involved), and couldn't find the project hosting
page.  I've added a brief mention and link to project hosting in the
"Find a project section" of the "Develpers/Getting Started" page,
which is the first link in the overview of the main developers page.
If others think there is a better place for this, feel free to change
it.

> 2) Has this already been done for the xo?

I don't believe so.

> 3) Would this be something that could be integrated with "Write", or should
> this be a seperate activity?

In truth, this is a feature that should be system-wide.  I'd really
love to have various services, such as spell-check, dictionary,
thesaurus, translation, speak text, etc. available in all activities.
That raises the bar a bit, but perhaps others already have ideas about
how this could be done.

Perhaps it would be enough to enable spell-check within the abiword
text widget (or perhaps it already has some such support?), and assume
that documents which would depend on spellcheck could embed that
widget.  I'm not sure, but others will know more.

- Eben