Journal2 patches + timings + notes

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Dec 2 13:23:34 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
>  * startup time seems okay, but the initial query takes about 10s to
>    return results. I have about 300 MB of data indexed under
>    /home/olpc, plus a bit of other junk. (~/.pinot is ~ 35 MB).

Yes, that's because pinot is not actually returning incremental
results yet; it is doing the entire search, sorting it

>  * it takes around 4.2 seconds to fetch and display each new result

See above.  The subsequent searches have a hot cache, at least, but
they are not actually incremental.

>  * With today's code, the search system is effectively unusable while
>    the indexer is hard at work.
>      * While I have not yet measured it carefully, it seemed to me that
>    "full" indexing of a basic 767 system + activities _on XO_ may have
>    taken as long as several hours.

See above; also the plan is to index /home, not /.

>  * With some, but not all queries, I noticed that the query failed
>    because pinot failed to reply to journal2's blocking message sends
>    within the usual dbus timeout of (30? 60?) seconds. I have no idea
>    what was happening inside pinot.

See above.

> P.S. - Thanks for the stimulating vacation entertainment.

You're welcome!  Thanks for the patches!  Want to work some on pinot?
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )