Java & Scratch on XO

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 1 09:50:38 EST 2008

On 01.12.2008, at 15:37, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM, John Maloney
> <jmaloney at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>> Hi, Tomeu.
>>
>> Thanks for your reply. It's great that there is a way to handle this!
>>
>> I took a quick look at the EToys .xo bundle and did not see a
>> mimetypes.xml file. However, I did notice that EToys lists a lot of
>> mime types in it's activity.info. What I don't see is how the system
>> would know what file extension to associate with a type like
>> "application/x-squeak-project". Is that what the mimetypes.xml is
>> for?
>> Do you know of any other activity that uses a mimetypes.xml file that
>> would be a good model for Scratch?
>
> True, have talked with Bert and he said that the etoys.xml file they
> have in the source repository is for the rpm, not for the .xo. So
> sorry for the misleading pointer.
>
> The idea is that your scratch bundle would have a file named
> mimetypes.xml in the activity dir (so next to the activity.info file,
> the icon, etc) and the contents would be analogous to those in
> etoys.xml. As you can see, that file relates extensions to mime types.
>
> Unfortunately, cannot find now an activity that currently uses it, but
> ping me again if you have trouble putting that to work and I will look
> harder or do a small experiment here.

Yes - should be pretty simple. Here's the essence of the Etoys one
(John: we actually dropped the capital T):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<mime-info xmlns="http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-
info">
    <mime-type type="application/x-squeak-project">
      <sub-class-of type="application/zip"/>
      <comment>Squeak Project</comment>
      <glob pattern="*.pr"/>
    </mime-type>