Write Collaboration - what is known to work / what is not?

J.M. Maurer uwog at uwog.net
Sat Aug 30 06:10:20 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 10:47 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > We've had a few attempts to share Write (
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Write ) with the Wellington test crowd, and
> > there are a number of cases that don't seem to work well, but I'm not
> > sure what the state of things is, and what is expected to work. The
> > Wiki page doesn't say much either on what aspects of collaboration are
> > working.
> >
> > I'm happy to file these as bugs, but I don't want to burden the
> > tracker with stuff that is not in the design :-)
> >
> > In brief things work for the simple case, but for example
> >
> >  - if the "initial creator/sharer" of the doc goes away, remaining
> > users can continue editing, but don't 'share' the updates any more.
> > There is no UI indication that things have changed.
> >

> I *think* that's a limitation which will be addressed in a future
> version of abicollab. Mark?

Yes, see my reply here: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8160#comment:2

It's *far* from trivial, so given that I'm implementing this in my spare
time, I can't give a timeframe yet.

> >  - Should invitees keep a copy in their journal and be able to resume
> > it in private?
> >

> I'm not sure to understand what you mean here.

If i understand correctly, this should already work. Every collaborator
will get an entry in his/her journal automatically.

  Marc