Write Collaboration - what is known to work / what is not?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 21:57:50 EDT 2008

We've had a few attempts to share Write (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Write ) with the Wellington test crowd, and
there are a number of cases that don't seem to work well, but I'm not
sure what the state of things is, and what is expected to work. The
Wiki page doesn't say much either on what aspects of collaboration are
working.

I'm happy to file these as bugs, but I don't want to burden the
tracker with stuff that is not in the design :-)

In brief things work for the simple case, but for example

 - if the "initial creator/sharer" of the doc goes away, remaining
users can continue editing, but don't 'share' the updates any more.
There is no UI indication that things have changed.

 - Should invitees keep a copy in their journal and be able to resume
it in private?

I don't want to indicate that these should be requirements - just some
questions that do come up while trying to use it. The tool has some
"affordances" (in the industrial design sense) that gets users trying
things that perhaps are not meant to work (ever / yet).

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions