Power-on to GUI in 20 seconds

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri Aug 29 16:51:23 EDT 2008

pgf at laptop.org wrote:

>  > > i can't resist pointing out that we could probably do that with
>  > > linux too, if we weren't committed to using an off-the-shelf desktop
>  > > distribution.

This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that we use a
off-the-shelf distro vs a custom embedded setup.  Creating a initial
suspend image that is loaded on boot would do exactly the same thing and
its trivial to setup.

The reason we don't do it is because it burns up a 100 or so megs of
NAND space.  If at such time we move to a much larger NAND then an
initial suspend image might become an option.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child