CSound server questions

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Aug 28 11:08:26 EDT 2008

John,

We cannot use code from Barry since he tends to work by himself, his
code is unmaintainable except by him and its licensing has also been
somewhat questionable at times, though the licening problems may have
been addressed..  Were he to be run over by a truck (God forbid!), we'd
be in a complete pickle.

The community CSound, that Victor leads, is widely used and supported by
a large community of people.

Previous objections of "CSound bloat" (by things like the public csound
using the TK/TCL internally to the CSound library) have been addressed
by Victor, who now has (at configure time) a version of CSound5 built
out of the same source pool that drops those dependencies.

You can be sure that *anything* that runs on the CSound lite we run on
OLPC will run on the public full CSound used in the music community; it
is an *exact* subset of the full CSound used by everyone except Barry.

So we are also in a very much better compatibility situation than using
Barry's version.

Hope this explanation helps.
                         - Jim

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 06:42 -0400, John Maloney wrote:
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I had the impression that Barry Vercoe was working on a new, light-
> weight CsoundServer. Is that not true?
>
> 	-- John
>
> On Aug 27, 2008, at 5:15 AM, Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie wrote:
> > There is no CsoundServer anymore; we use Csound as a library
> > through its API. If anyone wants some help on how to use it, to
> > play MIDI or anything else, he/she can talk to me, privately or
> > on this list. I'm away to ICMC at the moment, so replies might
> > be slow. But I'll give as much help as I can.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Victor

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child