Network transparent XS services - limitations and alternatives

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Mon Aug 25 23:40:31 EDT 2008

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Martin Langhoff wrote:

>   - Do HTTP clients using a proxy do not perform DNS lookups? My
> understanding is that they do not, but I am not 100% certain of
> whether this is specified, and how actual clients behave.

many clients do still do the DNS lookups. it's possible to setup a fairly
complicated proxy setup where you use different proxies to get to
different destinations (google for proxy.pac) it's possible to write that
logic in a way that requires DNS lookups, I don't know if it's possible to
write it in a way that avoids them.

David Lang