Regressions(?) in latest joyride build 2321, 2323

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 15:29:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Ton van Overbeek <tvoverbeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Martin Dengler wrote;
>> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:54:54PM -0400, Ton van Overbeek wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>> [...]
>>>

>> There will be no 'Disconnect' option because there is no msh0 device.
>> The two are related because the 'Disconnect' option is a 'design
>> concession': what is actually does is to activate the mesh.  Without a
>> mesh to activate, the 'Disconnect' option disappears.
>>
>> You may find the alternate proposals for 'Disconnect''s behavior, and
>> the counter-proposals, at
>>
>> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6995#comment:27
>> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6995#comment:28
>>
> OK, so both issues (no mesh and no Disconnect option) are only a single
> one..
> Just found trac #8133 which deals with the disappearing msh0 device.
> Seems to be an issue with a mismatch between driver versions.
> Hope it is solved soon.
>
>  From an end-user point of view I want to be able to disconnect
> (=disassociate) from
> an unwanted AP. Now you cannot do this in an obvious way.

I agree with your desire.  The point is, sadly, that there is no such
action as "disassociate" built into NM.  The previous behavior was not
semantically correct, because "disconnect" really meant "connect to
something else".  Until we can fix things at a lower lever to allow
disassociation, it doesn't really make sense to have the option (As
much as I want to offer it), in my opinion.

- Eben