CIFS will be strategic in some settings, but not included in kernel

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:55:09 EDT 2008

Martin, thanks for your thoughtful responses. I have a lot of reading to do
to get up to speed on WebDAV, server discovery, jabber, etc.

>There are so many portable ways of doing things that it's not worth
>spending 5 miuntes in thinking about unportable solutions.

I'm not sure I agree that a SMB solution is not worth 5 minutes, given the
ubiquity of MS devices. But until I go down the WebDAV path for a while I
wont really be able to offer an educated opinion.  How much work is it to
set up personal IIS on windows machines? or the equivalent on osX? I'd like
to try it and see how it feels.

I think the interface should just work, without installing anything. But I
realize this is a touchy subject. I'm willing to go along with the general
thinking on the issue.

Is there anyone currently working on a WebDAV client for the XO?  Please
contact me if anyone would like to collaborate on one.

George