CIFS will be strategic in some settings, but not included in kernel

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 07:37:27 EDT 2008

I wasn't really thinking that you folks doing the core software would have
time for a UI of any kind right now. I think I could create an Activity
which would be obsoleted once a WebDAV solution is in place.

I've been wanting to create an Activity that would add value and bridge the
MS-linux gap. I discovered that pyNeighborhood is open sourced, written in
python, uses gtk, runs on the XO, discovers a diverse MS  network, and in my
opinion has an acceptable UI.

All that is missing is browsing the selected share and fetching a file to
the journal, inbound, and pasting a clipboard item (from the journal) to a
mounted network folder, outbound. I'd like to speak for taking advantage of
what's already written, and available in the larger linux community. This
seems like low hanging fruit.

I'd be willing to roll my own kernel, with CIFS enabled for development
purposes.  But I don't see how the wider community could review my work or
how my new Activity could make a contribution to the wider effort without a
decision to enable CIFS in future builds.

WebDav is new to me, and interesting. I'm thinking of the kids in city
schools, where a parent has an XP desktop, and printer. Is it your idea that
WebDAV client would exist on the XO and the parent would download a WebDAV
server, and install it on his/her XP machine?

Is there someone with WebDAV experience and enthusiasm who I could
correspond with?