Devel Digest, Vol 30, Issue 121

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Mon Aug 25 05:24:04 EDT 2008

paul fox wrote:
> mitch wrote:
>  > Open Firmware can boot ELF binaries directly.  Put your .elf file in the
>  > root directory on a USB key that is formatted with either a FAT
>  > filesystem (preferred) or an ext2 filesystem.  Then, on an unsecured XO
>  > laptop, type:
>  >
>  > ok boot u:\myprogram.elf
>
> mitch -- where are OFW capabilities such as this, and the "client
> interface" mentioned below, documented?  (i suspect i've probably
> seen the doc somewhere in my wiki travels, and didn't at the time
> recognize it for what it was.)

My recent rewrite of the Olpc.fth wiki page documents the basics from
the XO perspective.

The primary documentation for the client interface is in the IEEE Open
Firmware standard; you might be able to find a near-final draft online
with a bit of searching.

FirmWorks sells a book that explains the client interface in gory
detail.  There might be a copy floating around 1cc; there are certainly
some copies of the FirmWorks OFW command reference manual.

The OFW source tree contains some example programs that use the client
interface; look in the "clients/" subdirectory.

A general-purpose call gateway, with templates for all the standard
client services, can be found in the Linux kernel source at
http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=olpc-2.6;a=blob;f=arch/x86/kernel/ofw.c