Sugar activity development (record)

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Sun Aug 24 18:29:36 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Morgan Collett <morgan at laptop.org> wrote:
> Hi Erik
>
> I'm reaching out to Sugar (OLPC) activity authors and maintainers to
> find out where things are at, and to try and improve communication in
> the development community. We have some information to get out such as
> API changes, ways to publish activities, etc and I'm trying to find
> the best ways of getting information out to those who are interested.
>
> This is a personal mail, not autogenerated but I am sending a lot of
> these out so please forgive some copy/pasting and generic
> information...
>
> I would appreciate your answers to the following:
>
> * Are you the best contact for record? (I know Daniel Drake's been
> working on it lately.)
> - Are there any other developers / maintainers I should also contact?

While we have not been actively working on Record lately, we should be kept
in the loop as we've a good sense as to why many things are built as they
are.  Our alias, olpc-dev at mediamods.com, is a good contact.

> * To which of the following mailing lists are you currently
> subscribed, if any? (I'd prefer to avoid cross-posting technical info
> to all lists, and some developers may no longer be on any of them...)
> - devel at lists.laptop.org
> - sugar at lists.laptop.org
> - community-news at lists.laptop.org
> - community-news at lists.sugarlabs.org
> - education at lists.sugarlabs.org (formerly
> its.an.education.project at tema.lo-res.org)
> - any other olpc or Sugar related lists?

Yes, and yes, and yes, and yes.

> * Are you aware of Sugar's new home at http://sugarlabs.org as an
> upstream project?

Yes, we've read about this plan.

> * Are you aware that OLPC builds no longer contain any activities, but
> do now have an easy way to install and update activities through the
> control panel, provided you follow certain procedures in publishing
> releases?

Yes.

> * Are you still maintaining your activity actively, occasionally, or not
at all?

Occasionally.

> * If you are able to maintain it actively, we invite you to propose
> your activity to be part of Fructose (see
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy) and following the SugarLabs sucrose
> release cycle: http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam#New_activities
>
> * If not, would you actively publish new releases if others sent you
> patches, or would you prefer that someone else adopted maintaining it?
> (And why are you no longer maintaining it?)

For now, it might be best if someone else maintained this project
day-to-day.
We have plans for enhancements in the future we will contribute.

> * What was the most recent OLPC build you tested your activity on?
> - older than 650 ("Update.1")
> - 650-656
> - 703 ("Update 1.1", or release 8.1.0)
> - 708 (release 8.1.1)
> - joyride 1xxx
> - joyride 2xxx (specify if possible?)

All of these.

> * In what ways do you need assistance with continued
> development/maintenance of your activity?

Platform stability :-)

> * How could we improve communication with activity authors?

I think you are doing a good job.