Is it possible to boot alternative OS from an USB stick?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Aug 24 09:36:55 EDT 2008

Am 24.08.2008 um 11:39 schrieb Hilaire Fernandes:

> I am at the Smalltalk Camp in Amsterdam, with SqueakNOS colleagues we
> try to start XO machine with SqueakNOS operating system.
>
> We don't find the key sequence to boot on USB. We will keep searching
> but if any of you have direct pointer, thanks.

The XO does not have a traditional BIOS, so its boot sequence is
different from normal PCs. It is running Open Firmware written in
Forth, and the actual boot can be customized by editing the boot/
olpc.fth script on your USB stick:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc.fth

You would need to write Forth code to load SqueakNOS and execute it.

- Bert -