Which stream to test for 8.2 or have we officially branched now?

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Aug 23 18:04:48 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Ton van Overbeek <tvoverbeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Noticed that idle suspend was enabled again in recent joyrides.
> pgf replied that this was intentional since we now have a revived 8.2
> build stream.
> But I have not seen any announcement yet on branching/freezing etc.
> What is the status and which builds should we be testing for the 8.2 release?

Michael and I have been working on creating an acceptable 8.2 test
candidate.  There have been 8.2-753, 8.2-754, 8.2-755, and 8.2-756
builds, but none of them have (so far) made it through initial QA here
at 1cc.  In particular, we tried to turn of X shared memory in the 8.2
stream to work around some of the known X corruption problems in
Browse, Etoys, etc, but this turned out to cause more problems than it
solved.  In 755 and 756 we reverted that and turned off EXA instead.
With koji out, we also had difficulty making a build which contained
the latest work from the sugar guys.  Build 8.2-756 is the first to
contain recent sugar work.

I believe the sugar snapshot made Friday inadvertently left out
several important sugar bug fixes.  I think the plan is for another
sugar snapshot Wednesday-ish -- but 8.2-756 is our "best stable
candidate so far".  Michael (the release manager) will presumably
announce it as such after we do our usual local QA to ensure it really
is a reasonable candidate for test -- if he doesn't, it's because
we've found some other major issue we want to fix before we let a
release candidate loose on the world. =)  [We'd like to get gstreamer
and Record reverted to their 8.1 state to fix some video issues; that
hasn't been done yet.  Not sure if that will delay our first RC.]

We will freeze once we have an acceptable release candidate.  Again,
with the koji outage a number of people have been scrambling to get
their local fixes in, and it has been expedient just to continue
synchronizing with joyride to pull in everyone's latest work.  But the
8.2 stream has already diverged in some important areas: as noted in a
previous email, cerebro and idle suspend are disabled, and at the
moment X EXA acceleration is disabled as well.  The sugar team has
already forked from their 0.82 release for the stable stream.  So
we're getting darn close.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )