ejabberd XS package questions

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 04:45:35 EDT 2008

Le mercredi 20 août 2008 à 10:17 +1200, Martin Langhoff a écrit :
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Guillaume Desmottes
> <guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm working on the ejabberd package for the XS. We'd like to provide an
> > updated package based on ejabberd 2.0.1 which "just work" once is
> > installed. The goal is of course to simplify as much as possible the
> > deployment of ejabberd servers for schools and community users.
>
> Good goals, though there's a tricky aspect in that we don't know the
> domain name at install time, and AFAIK ejabberd doesn't like the
> domain being changed after the DB has been setup.
>
> Following that, my intention is to automate the setup steps that need
> to take place once the fqdn has been set.

Humm good point. Don't know how exactly ejabberd handles that.

> > My current package is hosted in this git repo:
> > http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/cassidy/ejabberd-rpm;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/XS
>
> Great.
>
> > Here is few points I'd like to discuss:
> >
> > - Where are hosted XS packages source? I guess my ejabberd package
> > should belong here.
>
> xs-dev. Have you got an acct there? If not, send me and Henry Hardy
> your public keys and we'll set things up.

No, will send you my key.

> > - /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.pem is not installed by current XS package but
> > xs-config provide it. Recently, the Fedora's devel package was updated
> > to generate this file at the package installation (#5834). I integrated
> > this change in my package so we'll probably have to drop ejabberd.pem
> > from xs-config.
>
> Yes. I've seen your .pem generation, and I think it's a good idea. As
> soon as we clear your new pkg for installation I'll remove the .pem
> file from xs-config.

Cool!

> > - Same question about ejabberd.cfg which is currently overridden by
> > xs-config. The XS package should directly provide the right conf file I
> > guess.
>
> Your package should provide a default cfg. xs-config will have scripts
> that will override it (I'm changing how that works at the moment to
> make it saner) with a config file that is specific to the XS.

I patched my package to provide xs-config's ejabberd.cfg instead of the
default upstream one.
See
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/cassidy/ejabberd-rpm;a=commitdiff;h=509b8a26ead28a2ab4957cc907ddaa926c8524f4
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/cassidy/ejabberd-rpm;a=commitdiff;h=faaeb9797461b244b06fadbe526d079723eb46c2

> A couple of questions WRT your package:
>
>  - How is it different from the one in F9? New/added files? Patched files?

As you can see on
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/cassidy/ejabberd-rpm;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/XS
all the changes are *after* the "Import F-9 package" commit:
- This patch  recent_online_and_nearby_groups_updated.diff
- Generation of the PEP file
- The new ejabberd.cfg

>  - Can we make it so that it is _only_ additional files? If so, then
> we could make it into a package that depends on F9's ejabberd.

I'm afraid no as we need to patch ejabberd code
(recent_online_and_nearby_groups_updated.diff). Maybe for 9.1.0 as we
plan to remove the shared roster hack and use Gadget instead.

	G.