#8041 HIGH 9.1.0: Sugar lacks a "Trash/Recycle bin" system

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 20 01:27:23 EDT 2008

"Martin Langhoff" <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> writes:

>>> But my point was that, at the moment, you can choose to "Erase" an item, and
>>> it's gone forever. I expect that many kids will do this, and will at some point
>>> regret erasing some item.
>>
>> Yes.  This is a request that has been made here in Haïti.
>
> AFAIK, the plan is to *discourage* deletion until the disk is getting
> full. When you are getting to disk-full, "trashcan" doesn't help.

Yes it does: it contains entries that the system can safely delete
without forcing the user to go thru the entries and sort them out on
the fly.

People now want deletion because the Journal is not optimal.  They want
deletion to sort out entries in the Joural and get rid of unfinished or
useless entries.  With too many entries, the (current 703/708) Journal
becomes unusable.

They will eventually forget a bit about the trashbin when the Journal
will get better.  But even with a nicer Journal, the trashbin might
still serve the purpose described above.

> When you are running out off disk space, we have two cases:
>
>  - ds-backup has been doing its job, there's a copy of the files in
> the XS, so the journal has old-and-backed-up files that it can decide
> to rm

I'm afraid XS servers won't be of use in *many* schools.

>  - no old-and-backed-up files we can safely remove? Prompt the user

I'm curious whether someone did this job of being prompted.
How long does it take?  If you can't remember what a file contains,
checking if it's safe to delete it by trying to reopen it might be
tiring.

The whole idea of a trashbin has its limitation, but so does our brain!

--
Bastien